1. Welcome to Game Makers Forums

Whether you are a new, amateur or professional developer, you will find your place here.

Register to Download Sample Code or Advertise your Project.

Register also gives you the ability to be helped or help others:

Dismiss Notice

DotWorldCaffee

Discussion in 'DWM Community' started by ThorgerJansen, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ThorgerJansen

ThorgerJansen New Member

DotWorldCaffee is a realy nice Demo and i try to recreate something in that style. But its more difficult to add own tiles then i thought. My Artist is creating Tile for Tile so i want to add them one by one not as a whole Tilemap. Besides that it feels like horror to add new Tiles instead of the preset ones and all the errors you get when you remove the default tileset, moreover i struggle with the editor. I cant upload Images and add them to the tilemap properly. The Documentation isnt showing usefuly how to add custom Tiles one by one aswell. Is here anyone who already did that and could give a short guide?

2. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

You can't really add one tile, however you can simply re-upload the tileset and that will include the new tiles as long as you don't change the name of the file every time.

3. hallsofvallhalla

hallsofvallhalla Member

Why not take all your one by one tiles and create a tileset. It is much better on performance to use tilesets.

4. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

That's anyhow how the game engine works. All the tiles must be in a single image but as said you can add images to it and re-upload it without breaking your game as long as the filename is the same. What's missing is to add a tile from the interface, beside drawing it by hand. So maybe I could add a "upload single tile" in the image editor if that's really required.

5. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

For your info, I just added a feature in the included pixel editor which let you add a single tile or sprite to an existing image. So if you need to add just a tile to your background tiles:

- Open "Art" => "Tiles"
    - Click the button "Edit Image" on the bottom
    - Click the button "Add sprite from file" on the left panel
    - Click the "Choose File" button, browse on your disk the file you want to add and press "Open"
    - Click the "Add" button and the tile will be added.

Don't forget to save the image within the pixel editor.

I also added this info into the help (pixel editor section)

6. ThorgerJansen

ThorgerJansen New Member

Sounds good the Upload works now but when i save the tile i get "14:54:38 https://dotworldmaker.com/maker.js@28566: IndexSizeError: Index or size is negative or greater than the allowed amount"

As soon as i want to add a second image i get "15:36:24 https://dotworldmaker.com/maker.js@28834: TypeError: pixelEditor.currentImage is undefined"

"Why not take all your one by one tiles and create a tileset." Because the artist and me work at the same time so i work with placeholders that need to be updated

"you can simply re-upload the tileset and that will include the new tiles as long as you don't change the name of the file every time."
    Would be nice if you could download the original tileset then...

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  7. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

You can download the original tileset => right click => save should do the trick.

For the errors I will try to reproduce the errors and if I manage to do so, will fix them ASAP.

8. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

Ok I found the bug and fixed it. Hopefully you should be able to add new images. For the export of the tiles, click the "Preview" button on the top left, then right click the image and select save as. If that's not enough I could add a button just for that somewhere ;)

BTW Thanks for the bug report.

Last edited: May 8, 2017